I realized as I sat down to write that since I am in my “off season”, I don’t have a lot of content as a “type 2 triathlete”. I’m still training but the sessions are relatively short and easy so fueling is a non-issue at this point. Also, my TrainingPeaks compliance last week was about 50% so fueling REALLY was not an issue. 😛 . I slept in. A lot.
I am “self-coached”. And I use that phrase loosely. Part of me would LOVE to have someone setting my workouts and checking in. But I am a middle of the pack age grouper with goals to “complete not compete”. Would I benefit from a coach? Absolutely! Is it high enough priority to impact my family’s finances? No. There are a couple of more experienced triathletes in my life who answer questions and help with training simply because they love the sport. I do not pay them and they prefer that they not be called “coaches”. They don’t write most of my workouts or my training plans. They don’t check my TrainingPeaks. But they are a fantastic resource.If you are in the Boise, ID area and are looking for a small group to train with, let me know.
I’m not even going to speak on my nutrition last week. My app that I use to track carbs and blood sugar readings sends me a weekly comparison report. It says my Blood Glucose trend was up 10 points, I have 2 more hyper readings and my carbs/day were up 19 grams. However. I also started testing 3-4 times a day instead of 1-2 and actually logging (almost) every bite. So without comparable data sets, I don’t know how accurate that is. Next week will give me a better idea of how I’m doing.
Workouts planned last week were:
- Monday: Strength training – 33 minutes of full body done at home
- Tuesday: Spin class (5:30am) – first class since this past spring and it was brutal but it got done. Bike computer died so no data.
- Wednesday: Swim drills – slept in, did not get done.
- Thursday: Spin class – Did not do. Horrible headache and woozy every time I stood up. Opted to sleep in.
- Friday: Strength training – nope.
- Saturday: Swim drills – I did not do the workout as written. I ended up doing two sets of short ladders with 50 yards of sculling and 50 yards of kicking at the end of each for 1,000 yards total. I SUCK at sculling so I’m always chanting “Sculling makes me stronger” to get through it. It does. I’m noticing an improvement. It’s still not my favorite.
- Sunday/today: rest day – I don’t really NEED a rest day given how little I did this week. But we just got our first snow and it’s just a lazy, cozy day.